Thursday 13 February 2014

More Memories from Derrick Evans

The walk past Plascrwn and up to Gwenlais was a footpath which I'm afraid I used to ride my m/bike, dry weather only,on odd occasions,to relieve the monotony of legal road riding!!!

The other path (Feidr Fach) that went past the old post office run by Soph, when you crossed the bridge, on your left was a flat stone circle with a centre iron bar where the blacksmith would come to put the iron band around a cartwheel. 

A bit further on from that, on the left, was a well that supplied us with drinking water before the village was
linked up to the mains supply.

The path was regularly used as a short cut on dry Sundays when going to Cwmmiles!!

I've also found a plaited leather whip handle that my mother said was made by the whip maker that lived in Glanrhyd.  I think his name crops up in the 1911 census. (Probably - John James aged 60 yrs was a whip maker who lived in 2 roomed Glanrhyd).

I'll send you a photograph of it shortly.

It was good to read Denly's comment.It took me back many, many years.
Cheers,
Derrick.

No comments: