Sunday 2 February 2014

Old Login Pictures and Memories by Derrick Evans

Cwmni Drama Ffynnonwen 1945
'RHYS LEWIS' performed in Calfaria Chapel






 Ffynnonwen Groups from 1920s - Mr Gravelle was the Headmaster.
Teacher's Assistant was Derrick's mother Mabel Davies who began as a 'pupil teacher' when she was 12 year's old and worked there until 1934.


Derrick's father W.Rhyddech Evans was the last headmaster of Penygaer School.


Derrick recalls - 'When I read the bit about Glyntaf, two things I remember about Mrs Prethero Beynon. She used to come to the shop, which Parry Lewis ran, in her pony and trap,and when she left, if I was around,she would give me a ride over to the station.  She was also leader with the Otter Hounds. I can see her now in blue jacket and plus-fours wading through the river under the bridge with the hounds and her followers.She was quite a lady!'

2 comments:

Denley Owen said...

Beautiful photos from Derrick who I remember as a co-pupil under his father as headmaster at Penygaer school in the 1940s. I believe that the lady of Glyntaf that he refers to was Miss Protheroe, sister of Capt Dai Protheroe of Glyntaf. One of their brothers had stuck 'Beynon' to his surname which helped him inherit the Beynon estate of Trewern, Whitland which belonged to his mother's family. I was brought up at Cefn, Login which was next door to Glyntaf.
Best wishes,
Denley Owen

Ruth Roberts said...

Thanks for the lovely comments Denley. Yes it was great for Derrick to find this blog and send in some contributions. Please feel free to email me with any pictures or reminiscences you may have. The more bits and pieces we can collect relating to Login the better.