Sunday 23 July 2017

War Activity at Login Station

A message from Derrick Rhydderch-Evans

'Saw the film Dunkirk this evening and a scene in it brought back some memories. After the evacuation troops had to be returned to their units via troop trains.
I remember one coming through Login. The ladies of the village had been requested to supply tea,water and bread and jam for the troops in transit. I can remember large milk churns of water, many trays of bread and jam, and some cakes for the soldiers.
The train was pulled by two engines with many carriages, it took two or three stops for most of the soldiers to be replenished with what was on hand. It was then on to Llanglydwen where probably the same thing happened.
I don't think Login station had ever been as busy before or since that day. In my mind I can see it as if yesterday. 
Cheers.
Derrick.'

No comments: